We are approaching Summertime and I would say, the time of the year most of us lather dangerous toxins all over our skin. From sunscreen to bug spray to lotion, what you are putting on your skin this Summer matters! These products you place on your skin goes directly into your bloodstream, and fast! It is often said, 60% of what we put on our skin is absorbed in 26 seconds.
Our skin is the largest organ and absorbs whatever we put on it. This is why we need to be proactive in checking labels and be proactive in reducing our toxic load. A tip I have is to download the Think Dirty App to scan your products.
I am passionate about helping others live clean, toxic-free lives with natural solutions that are simple and easy to make.
Bring a friend and join me in my home where I will be hosting a Summer Make and Take Open House June 15. Come pick 4 recipes to make and take home with you. It is $5 an item or come pick 4 items for $20.
Recipe Options Include:
- After Sun Spray
- Bug Repellent
- Hand Sanitizer
- Allergy Rollerball
- Feet & Hand Sugar Scrub
- Razor Serum
Raffle drawing for free travel essential oil case to take with you on the road this summer. ** Please RSVP so I have correct materials count.
If you are interested in more facts about toxins in our skincare products here is more:
Did you know?
- There are only 10 banned ingredients in the U.S., but more than 1,400 in the EU.Manufacturers have to clean up their formulations to export, due to the European Union’s stricter safety standards, but they leave in all those toxic chemicals for us because they can!
- Manufacturers are legally allowed to hide hundreds of chemicals in the ingredient “fragrance” or “parfum” and do not have to list them on the ingredient label. If your product contains the ingredient fragrance, all bets are off because there is no way to determine the true toxicity of the product. Beware—even “fragrance-free” products use the ingredient “fragrance.” If a manufacturer isn’t willing to tell the consumer everything that is in its products, that’s a big red flag!
- The Red Cross and Environmental Working Group (EWG) conducted a study in 2004 that detected more than 287 synthetic chemicals in the cord blood of newborns. More than 180 of them are carcinogenic, 217 are toxic to the brain and nervous system, and 208 can cause birth defects or abnormal development in animal tests.
- In his book Toxic Beauty, Samuel Epstein, MD, states it’s actually safer to consume your products than to put them on your skin. A percentage of what you put on your skin does enter your bloodstream—and faster than if you swallowed it! Think of nicotine or estrogen patches, used as drug delivery systems because they are an immediate gateway to the bloodstream, bypassing the liver.
- A number of carcinogenic contaminants are not required to be listed on your ingredients label. Formaldehyde (from DMDM hydantoin), 1,4-dioxane (from sodium lauryl sulfate, PEGs, and ingredients ending in -eth), nitrosamines (from triethanolamine, or TEA; diethanolamine, or DEA; or monoethanolmaine, or MEA), and hydroquinone (from tocopherals) can be included without informing consumers.
(5 facts are from Huffington Post)